Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
Content redesign of GOV.UK pages.
Joe worked with us to audit our content and create a strategy that moves us to becoming more user centred. Joe’s work on this has put us in a position to transform how we do content and how we make it work for our users.
The Office for Product Safety and Standards formed in 2018.
Its GOV.UK pages:
- lacked cohesion and clear public-facing messaging over the organisation’s purpose and value
- contained lots of out-of-date content migrated from legacy organisations
- weren’t labelled or organised in a user-centred way
- Carry out a content audit to identify critical areas for development.
- Produce a content development plan, outlining recommended edits to existing content, proposed new pages for production, and reorganisation of topic and information architecture
- Work closely with internal content team to implement agreed content changes and ensure work adheres to GDS standards and principles.
A comprehensive content audit established areas of critical need, including specific content that should be revised, reorganised, edited, or cut.
New information architecture simplified and consolidated content journeys around three core target users: consumers, businesses, and regulators.
Production of new consumer-facing product safety information helped establish a more consumer-centred public profile.
New GOV.UK topic pages were produced in collaboration with GDS, to house new OPSS content and provide better link-ins to ‘mainstream’ GOV.UK.